Australian Work & Holiday Visa - How It Works?
The purpose of the work and holiday visa is for you to holiday and travel in Australia. Any work should be temporary to supplement your funds. Work is only permitted for up to 6 months with any one employer.
You can apply for a work and holiday visa if you:
- Are aged between 18 and 30 years.
- Hold a passport from a country that has a work and holiday arrangement with Australia.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Have approval from your government.*
- Have relevant education qualifications.
- Are able to speak English at a functional level.
* Not required for applicants from the U.S.A.
While in Australia as the holder of a work and holiday visa, you must not study or train for more than 4 months. If you want to study for longer than 4 months, you should apply for a student visa from outside Australia.
If granted a work and holiday visa, the visa is valid for 12 months, which means you have 12 months from the grant date to enter Australia. Once you enter Australia, you have 12 months to spend in the country.
If you leave Australia during your 12 month stay, you cannot recover the period of time spent outside Australia.
The cost of an Australian work and holiday visa is $499.00 USD.